Finally! My first journal article, which is co-written with Andrew Morrison, has now been published by the International Journal of Design. This is an open-access journal, so the article is free for everyone to download as a PDF. The article is entitled ‘Navimation: exploring time, space & motion in the design of screen-based interfaces’. Here is the abstract:
Screen-based user interfaces now include dynamic and moving elements that transform the screen space and relations of mediated content. These changes place new demands on design as well as on our reading and use of such multimodal texts. Assuming a socio-cultural perspective on design, we discuss in this article the use of animation and visual motion in interface navigation as navimation. After presenting our Communication Design framework, we refer to relevant literature on navigation and motion. Three core concepts are introduced for the purpose of analysing selected interface examples using multimodal textual analysis informed by social semiotics. The analysis draws on concepts from multiple fields, including animation studies, ‘new’ media, interaction design, and human-computer interaction. Relations between time, space and motion are discussed and linked to wider debates concerning interface design.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Navimation is a concept denoting the combination of navigation and visual motion in screen-based interfaces. About navimation.
- Fulbright report: six months at the School of Cinematic Arts in Los Angeles
- The VizBox Experiments
- TopoBox: exploring a tangible dataviz platform
- Norway in 3D part I: from DEM to 3D surface
- Using visualization for understanding survey data
- Story kicking big data
- Fulbright project: Dynamic Information Visualization
- Visiting Fulbright scholar at USC in Los Angeles
- (E)motional design paper at DANDE2012
- 3,5 års arbeid på 6 minutt og 40 sekund
- PhD thesis online
- New video: Kinetic Interface Design
- Presentasjon: Skisser utanfor boksen
- New journal article published
- ABB Interactive Collaboration Table (2006)
- Free Stock Images & Videos ~ AllTheFreeStock.comFree stock stuff!
- Icon search engine and market place | IconfinderLots of icons and icon sets, som of which are free
- Xvision | Visual EngineeringVisual engineering in 3D - mostly for oil and gas
- The Cochrane Collaboration | Trusted evidence. Informed decisions. Better health.Reviews of healthcare research