Better late than never, right? It’s about time to resuscitate this blog and give the interweb an update on my whereabouts!
I have recently arrived in Los Angeles, where I will be a visiting Fulbright scholar for 6 months. I will stay at the USC School of Cinematic Arts, doing research on dynamic and interactive data visualization. The research visit is made possible by a research grant from Fulbright Norway. In addition, I will work part time for my Norwegian employer, Halogen.
Why Los Angeles and USC?
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that California is the place to be when it comes to digital innovation as well as moving images, and the sweet spot is to be found at USC. The School of Cinematic Arts is considered the top film school in the US. However, they are not only making films there; the new Interactive Media Building is filled with state of the art technology, such as large multi-touch screens, Oculus Rift virtual reality headsets, and the Oblong g-speak system (you know, the one Tom Cruise uses in Minority Report).
Media Arts + Practice program
…devoted to exploring the potentials of scholarly expression, visual storytelling, data visualization and social media, including business, education, medicine, urban planning and law, areas in which the ability to use media to communicate effectively is increasingly essential.
This is spot on to my own interests, and more specifically to the project I will work on, exploring dynamic datavisualization (more on that later). In adition, Virginia Kuhn was one of the first to produce a media-rich, born-digital PhD dissertation in the US. So we also share an interest in exploring new forms of scholarly
writing composition and publishing.
I feel extremely privileged to be able to be in such an exciting place! More on the project later.
1 Comment to Visiting Fulbright scholar at USC in Los Angeles
Leave a comment
Navimation is a concept denoting the combination of navigation and visual motion in screen-based interfaces. About navimation.
- Fulbright report: six months at the School of Cinematic Arts in Los Angeles
- The VizBox Experiments
- TopoBox: exploring a tangible dataviz platform
- Norway in 3D part I: from DEM to 3D surface
- Using visualization for understanding survey data
- Story kicking big data
- Fulbright project: Dynamic Information Visualization
- Visiting Fulbright scholar at USC in Los Angeles
- (E)motional design paper at DANDE2012
- 3,5 års arbeid på 6 minutt og 40 sekund
- PhD thesis online
- New video: Kinetic Interface Design
- Presentasjon: Skisser utanfor boksen
- New journal article published
- ABB Interactive Collaboration Table (2006)
- Icon search engine and market place | IconfinderLots of icons and icon sets, som of which are free
- Xvision | Visual EngineeringVisual engineering in 3D - mostly for oil and gas
- The Cochrane Collaboration | Trusted evidence. Informed decisions. Better health.Reviews of healthcare research
- Meaningful Transitions // HomeNice inspirational collection of navigational transitions